[LAU] Question About jack transport

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Apr 7 16:06:20 UTC 2017

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 11:42:21 -0400, john gibby wrote:
>Yes, Pianoteq is the French piano modeling program, and I am running
>it as a standalone application in AVL Linux alongside ecasound and
>Jack.

IIUC everything runs on the same machine?

>Seems advantageous to me that I'm avoiding d/a conversion until final
>step b4 the amps.

JACK transport has nothing to do with the audio chain.

If everything is running on the same computer, then anything is
digital. Depending on how you are doing things, resampling could be
involved, but no conversion to analog.

CPU, RAM, the mobo's bus etc. are unable to handle analog signals. Only
a sound card could convert.

If you are using Pianotec on a different computer than ecasound, then
S/PDIF, AES/EBU and ADAT are common digital formats. IOW even then you
not necessarily need to convert to/from analog. In this case sync is
important, but this more or less happens automatically. You might need
to select the clock source, but this has nothing to do with JACK, let
alone JACK transport. If you don't use a digital interface, IOW if you
convert to analog by one computer and to digital by the other, no sync
between the sound cards of the both computers at all is required.

In short, you don't need to care about anything JACK transport related.

However, I wonder if you are using QjackCtl. It's a GUI that provides
transport buttons. There are important settings, but they are equal for
anything using jack and those settings have nothing to do with a
feature named "jack transport".

Regards,
Ralf