[LAU] Which jackd to install on a new system ?

Glen MacArthur info at bandshed.net
Sun Apr 16 03:05:45 UTC 2017

Hmmm OK,this is a little complicated for a layman to explain but here
goes...

If I'm not mistaken (I don't use Ubuntu or Mint) Linux Mint 18 is
based on Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 16.04 uses gcc 5 as its default
compiler, that means all the graphical desktop stuff in Mint 18 was
compiled with gcc 5, The issue at hand is that gcc 5 introduced some
important ABI changes over it's predecessor gcc 4.9 and some of these
changes mean that a small number of plugins that have their UI's
graphical (and underlying related components) compiled with gcc 4.9
won't work in a DAW compiled with gcc 5 or a DAW compiled on a system
with gcc 5 as the default compiler. Ardour and Mixbus developers have
long known about this so they have created Ardour and Mixbus versions
for both gcc 4.9 and gcc 5 systems. Your warning is coming from the
fact that when you are installing Mixbus 32C it is the gcc 4 version
and it is detecting that Linux Mint 18 uses gcc 5 and therefore gives
you the warning. I also use Mixbus 32C and there should be a gcc 5
version on the download page, if not...  I'm certain emailing
Harrison support will accomodate you with a gcc 5 build.

But you're not out of the woods yet... Now you have your OS and DAW
both using gcc 5 you are not immune from all potential problems.
Certain plugins within the Ubuntu repositories may be old and not
compiled with gcc 5 yet, these can also cause problems as well. For
the best experience with repository plugins in Ubuntu and Mint it is
recommended to use the KXStudio repositories which have have more up
to date versions of almost ALL repository plugins and a special gcc 5
repository for systems using Ubuntu 16.04 and up. As a final note it
seems most external commercial plugins (OverToneDSP, U-he,Illformed
etc.) are not affected by these problems.

KX Studio repositories are here:
http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories

Hope that helps, Glen