[LAU] Which jackd to install on a new system ?

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sun Apr 16 15:52:20 UTC 2017

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 20:05:45 -0700
"Glen MacArthur" <info at bandshed.net> wrote:

> you the warning. I also use Mixbus 32C and there should be a gcc 5
> version on the download page, if not...  I'm certain emailing
> Harrison support will accomodate you with a gcc 5 build.

All right.  I plowed through the emails and found the one about
downloading Mixbus32C in which it offers the gcc5 version.  So that got
installed.  Mixbus32C starts fine now, I very briefly clicked on a
couple of plugins: they show up.

However, in the previous system there was a use of a ~/.jackdrc file
that 'some process' would read at boot and automatically start jackd
with the file in that .jackdrc file, which was:

/usr/bin/jackd --sync -T -P80 -ndefault -dalsa -dhw:M1010LT -r44100
-p256 -n4

This does not happen in the new system.  No jackd is launched
automatically at boot.  No init hook was seemingly installed as part of
the jackd2 installation (Linux Mint 18, so that would be Ubuntu-like).
Which process is responsible to checking this out and starting jackd
automatically ?

For the time being I start jackd manually using the line above.  The I
start Mixbus32 and as soon as Mixbus32C starts, the following happens,
shown in the last few lines (the others provided for context)

[...]
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 80
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio1
creating alsa driver ...
hw:M1010LT|hw:M1010LT|256|4|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 256 frames (5.8 ms), buffer = 4
periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer
little-endian
ALSA: use 4 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer
little-endian
ALSA: use 4 periods for playback

(Now starting Mixbus32C)

JackTemporaryException : now quits...
Jack main caught signal 2
Released audio card Audio1
audio_reservation_finish

Starting Mixbus32C kills jackd.

So basically, how to start jackd automatically and, what's this thing
with Mixbus32C provoking jackd to terminate ?

Thanks !