[LAU] OT: Video Card Recommendation

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Apr 25 08:36:22 UTC 2017

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 04:11:28 +0000 (UTC), Ivan K wrote:
>I see that this card is "PCI Express 2.0".  Will such a card
>work in my my 2007 motherboard in the slot labeled PCI Express x16?

Hi,

x16 is no information about the version.

"PCIe 2.0 cards are also generally backward compatible with PCIe 1.x
motherboards, using the available bandwidth of PCI Express 1.1." -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

"A PCI Express card fits into a slot of its physical size or larger
(with ×16 as the largest used), but may not fit into a smaller PCI
Express slot; for example, a ×16 card may not fit into a ×4 or ×8 slot.
Some slots use open-ended sockets to permit physically longer cards and
negotiate the best available electrical and logical connection.

The number of lanes actually connected to a slot may also be fewer than
the number supported by the physical slot size. An example is a ×16
slot that runs at ×4, which will accept any ×1, ×2, ×4, ×8 or ×16 card,
but provides only four lanes. Its specification may read as "×16 (×4
mode)", while "×size @ ×speed" notation ("×16 @ ×4") is also common.
The advantage is that such slots can accommodate a larger range of PCI
Express cards without requiring motherboard hardware to support the
full transfer rate. Standard mechanical sizes are ×1, ×4, ×8, and ×16.
Cards with a differing number of lanes need to use the next larger
mechanical size (ie. a ×2 card uses the ×4 size, or a ×12 card uses the
×16 size)." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

Regards,
Ralf