[LAU] ShowQ - "a QLAB for Linux"

Tim termtech at rogers.com
Mon Aug 7 17:32:13 UTC 2017

On 08/07/2017 01:21 PM, Tim wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I was wondering how to contact him (without gettig a github account) as
>> I can't find an email address of his.
>>
>> The suggested reason for this problem was given as "ShowQ is connecting
>> to Jack ports and does not care if they are audio or MIDI."
>>
>> In my case ShowQ lists the two jack audio ports (sinks) that my soundcard
>> provides and makes audio connections to them. No midi connections are
>> made.
>>
>> Dear list, does anyone know how I could debug or even fix this by using
>> jackd tools/commands?
>>
>> thank you so much! P
>
> Hi, as your output shows, I don't think it is a Jack connection error.
> All of your ports listed are audio ports.
> I just built and tested this app and I get this with an
>   ice1712 based Delta1010 card:
>
> ShowQ:out_1 # system:playback_1
> ShowQ:out_2 # system:playback_2
> ShowQ:out_3 # system:playback_3
> ShowQ:out_4 # system:playback_4
> ShowQ:out_5 # system:playback_5
> ShowQ:out_6 # system:playback_6
> ShowQ:out_7 # system:playback_7
> ShowQ:out_8 # system:playback_8
>
> These are all audio ports. If they were midi ports it would say
>   midi_playback_1 etc.
> ShowQ runs fine, although I did not test any operations.
>
> According to the code in Audio::setup_ports(),
> {
>    const char **oports = jack_get_ports(client, nullptr,
>      JACK_DEFAULT_AUDIO_TYPE, JackPortIsInput);
>
>    for (int i = 0; i < 8 && oports[i]; ++i) {
>    if (ports[i]) {
>     std::cerr << jack_port_name(ports[i]) << " # " << oports[i] << '\n';
>     jack_connect(client, jack_port_name(ports[i]), oports[i]);
>    }
>   }
> }
>
> ShowQ sets up eight client ports and tries to connect them
>   to the first eight available audio Jack ports.
> In your case it connects only the first four found,
>   since that is all the ports you seem to have.
> If there was a problem connecting a fifth port and beyond,
>   Jack should have just printed a connection error and ShowQ
>   should have just moved on.
>
> So I think it is something later on causing this crash.
>
> Curiously though, the bug report that was filed shows:
> ShowQ:out_1 # system:playback_1
> ShowQ:out_2 # system:playback_2
> ShowQ:out_3 # a2j:Midi Through [14] (playback): Midi Through Port-0
> ShowQ:out_4 # PulseAudio JACK Source:front-left
> ShowQ:out_5 # PulseAudio JACK Source:front-right
>
> That midi port should /NOT/ have been included, since ShowQ
>   asks only for JACK_DEFAULT_AUDIO_TYPE.
> I'm not sure why ShowQ attempted to connect to that midi port.
>
> I've got ShowQ open in KDevelop, ready to troubleshoot.
> But I'll need more information.
> Is there anything else at all printed in the terminal output?
>
> It is best if /you/ try running a debug session under KDevelop,
>   or use gdb stand-alone. (I just prefer KDevelop.)
> It should show you the troublesome line(s) causing the crash.

I forgot to ask:
Can you do us a wee favour and run Jack with the Dummy driver
  instead of ALSA?
It will create two dummy ports and ShowQ should be able to start.
If it doesn't, then I do not think Jack is the problem.

My guess would be something graphic related.
The nature of that bug report error screenshot, and the fact
  I get things like this when actually operating ShowQ seems to
  suggest graphics troubles:

** (showq:10780): WARNING **: Invalid borders specified for theme pixmap:
         /usr/share/themes/Breeze/gtk-2.0/../assets/line-h.png,
borders don't fit within the image

(showq:10780): glibmm-CRITICAL **:
unhandled exception (type Glib::Error) in signal handler:
domain: gtk-builder-error-quark
code  : 2
what  : /usr/local/share/showq/ui/editmidi.ui:404:1 <object> requires
attribute "id"