[LAU] Pocket Guitarix?

Tim termtech at rogers.com
Fri Aug 11 23:11:31 UTC 2017

On 08/11/2017 02:52 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 19:53:18 +0200, Hermann Meyer wrote:
>> Am 10.08.2017 um 05:18 schrieb Tim:
>>> Guitarix
>>> Battery powered
>>> 2 Hr or better run time
>>> Pocket sized
>>> For live use
>>> Latency <= 128 frames (at say 44.1Khz)
>> Here is a project which do that:
>>
>> https://github.com/rabits/onebutton
>
> Hi,
>
> "The ODROID-C2 consumes less than 0.8A in most cases" -
> http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:c2_hardware
>
> The ESI UDJ6 and ESI Maya 22 USB are bus powered, unfortunately
> downloading the data sheets from the ESI homepage doesn't work for me.
>
> "the voltage at the hub port is specified to be in the range 5.00+0.25
> −0.60 V by USB 2.0"
> "High-power devices draw at least 1 unit load and at most 5 unit loads
> (500 mA)" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_2.0
>
> So IIUC required are likely around 1,5A at 5V, for at least 2 hours.
>
> Would be a battery as recommended at
>
> https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/98896/good-portable-5v-1-5a-power-source
>
> be sufficient?
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Ooh, this looks nice!
Thanks for all the replies, guys!

I see that even the RPi accepts any regular USB charger battery,
  of which there are compact models available.
And the ODROID also has a compact battery accessory.

I've been through a lot of different effects products over the years.
I'm a proud 20-year owner of a BOSS SE-70 professional rack-mount
  multi-effects unit. Your effects unit becomes like an extension
  of your character and playing. Difficult to recreate. When you try
  other units, it's like, whoa - I can't play this thing...
I've been reading other owners' laments about nothing really replacing
  the SE-70's 'character', but the battery powered GT-1 seems close.
I have a Line6 Pocket Pod, which is great at simulating amps,
  but not so great with the distortion and overdrive.
Actually I don't think it even has a distortion or overdrive stage,
  just the amps. I wonder if anybody's hacked the thing by now...

But I know that if there's one application that should do
  what I need it to do - it's Guitarix. Thanks to Hermann.

I had been using a portable product which has a 10AHr SLA battery
  and a built-in stereo amp and an LED light, plus two AC inverter
  outputs to power my non-battery effects gear (like the SE-70).
But, meh, kind of heavy and battery never lasted and now it's dead.

So now I'm evaluating a Roland Micro Cube amp.
The built-in amp simulations are, well, OK but with my SE-70
  it sounds great, I like it.
I just need to find a good battery powered effects unit to take
  the SE-70's place.

Or go back to running everything from a battery powered inverter again.

Thanks.
Tim.