[LAU] Speakers alignment

Jaromír Mikeš mira.mikes at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 20:35:41 UTC 2017

> On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 02:56:32PM +0200, Jaromír Mikeš wrote:
>
> > I am searching for tool that would allowed me to align sound system.
> > I would like send sound impulse to one speaker and get delay time (ms)
> > based on captured signal by measurement mic.
>
> Practical solution:
>
> For a small (living room) system, just use a tape measure.
> For a big one (PA system), use a laser rangefinder.
>
> Then divide by speed of sound (343 m/s) in normal conditions.

Well ... that's what I usually do :)
But is not always enough ... with big system in outdoor there is a problem
to measure with laser on sunny days.
Yes there are expensive solutions like for e.g. from Leica which works up
to 200m on sun ... price about 500$
Also there is one other problem ... when you align top speakers (flying)
with subs (stacked) I believe 15'' from "tops" having faster reaction than
18''  from subs.
And one more problem ... system I am working with having some delays on
factory presets ... Yep they are documented in charts ...
But anyway would be nice to have a tool to verify own calculation.

best regards

mira