[LAU] limits.conf nice rtprio

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Aug 18 21:22:49 UTC 2017

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 22:57:07 +0200, Jaromír Mikeš wrote:

>> On Fri, 2017-08-18 at 11:54 +0200, Jaromír Mikeš wrote:
>> > irqbalance should be disabled?
>>
>> "Disabling the irqbalance daemon
>> This daemon is enabled by default and periodically forces interrupts
>> to be handled by CPUs in an even, fair manner. However in realtime
>> deployments, applications are typically dedicated and bound to
>> specific CPUs, so the irqbalance daemon is not required." -
>> https://access.redhat .com/documentation/en-
>> US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_MRG/1.3/html/Realtime_Tuning_Guide/sect-
>> Realtime_Tuning_Guide-General_System_Tuning-
>> Interrupt_and_Process_Binding.html
>>

>Is there some way how to disable it on starting jack and enable on
>quilt jack?
>I already using scripts for running PA via jack ...
>But here it looks like you need root to switch it off :(

gksudo, pkexec or Co.? I don't have it installed. Do you need it for
some reason?

>Ok ... BTW what is rtc?
>There was RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="rtc snd usb i8042"
>And onemore question here ...
>I have also PCIe RME card which I would like to use sometimes ... any
>chance to give high priority to it?

RTC is for real-time clock, usually completely irrelevant for pro-audio.

I've got a PCIe (tower PC, not laptop) RME card, too.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep NAME_LIST=\"u /etc/conf.d/rtirq
RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="usb snd_hdsp snd_ice1"
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ rtirq status | head -7

  PID CLS RTPRIO  NI PRI %CPU STAT COMMAND
  109 FF      90   - 130  0.0 S    irq/16-ehci_hcd
  110 FF      90   - 130  0.0 S    irq/25-xhci_hcd
  126 FF      89   - 129  0.0 S    irq/23-ehci_hcd
  241 FF      85   - 125  0.0 S    irq/16-snd_hdsp
  242 FF      80   - 120  0.0 S    irq/16-snd_ice1

For my old mobo I unbound USB ports sharing the IRQ with audio devices,
for my new mobo it's not possible, but the shared IRQ doesn't cause
noticeable effects. Usually I do not use the USB device, but the HDSPe.
Until now I didn't care that the USB ports are above the HDSPe.

>I have only 3x USB ports on my laptop :( it confuse me a bit.
>Anyway how can I recognize which one is which?

Trial-and-error and feel free to google. I don't know how to get access
to all USB ports, for my tower PC I'm using USB slot
brackets, https://cdn-reichelt.de/bilder/web/artikel_ws/C610/AK674.jpg .