[LAU] SSD for Linux audio? (Was: Re: Massive Xruns during recording)

Peter list at schmitteckert.com
Sat Dec 9 10:16:37 UTC 2017

Dear Jeanette,

out of  curiosity I created a RAM-disk

sudo mount -t tmpfs -o size=10G tmpfs RAM

and recorded to that one. As a result, I couldn't record 32 channel at 48kHz and a buffer of 128.
At a buffer of 256 it ran without any xruns, however, in that case, storing on hard disk creates
an XRun only once at a while. So I'm not sure, whether a SSD would improve much.
at least you could make a test recording to a RAM disk.

-> jackd: v0.125.0 (-R --timeout 4500 -d alsa -C multi_capture -P multi_playback -r 48000 -p 256 -z shaped)
Note, I made my test simply using ardour5 and jackd.

Best regards,
Peter