[LAU] How to keep an updated "standard" linux audio system?

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sun Dec 10 17:05:14 UTC 2017

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 12:52:05 -0300
Fede <federicogalland at gmail.com> wrote:

> My question is: How do you people keep an updated system stable? Do
> you wipe your drive clean and start over every ubuntu LTS release?
>
> If you are not on a debian based distro, how do you handle the lack of
> a kxstudio repo?

I use Linux Mint since maybe 7 years, or more.  I update through the
Mint update application.  I choose a long term release so it can stay
the same for years, eg. getting security updates for maybe 4 years or
more so no need to fully update.  After installing Mint I go through
my checklist for audio use and install a proper kernel, some libraries,
the soft synths, the plugins, etc.  And that's it.  Everything can run
fine for years, from past experience.

Naturally, all the data is not anywhere near a system partition.  This
means that all data can be shared amongst any Linux OS that can be
booted.  So once in every 5 years or so I update the OS by
installing a brand new one somewhere else.  Then I go trough the
checklist, and make the symlinks to the data and it's basically ready
to go.

Cheers.