[LAU] Can't get the stereo imaging from the speakers

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 09:46:12 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 11/12/17 01:32, jonetsu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I got speaker stands from the Yamaha HS5 powered speakers.

[...]
> The problem with this is that when a
> track is panned completely to one side only its volume decreases.  The
> audio of that track does not move to the side.

How is it being 'panned'? The decrease in volume might be expected or
not depending on the way it is being panned (see [1] and e.g. for Ardour
[2])
The fact that the audio is not 'moving' to the side doesn't seem normal.
What effect does running this produce (attention loud white noise, turn
down master volume!!)?

speaker-test -c 2

Again there could be many reasons. Firstly I would check routing/cabling
(both analogue and digital) to make sure the stereo path is correct
(mono switch somewhere? flimsy/loose stereo jack/input? JACK incorrectly
connected?...?). :)

Lorenzo.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_law
[2] https://community.ardour.org/node/2835 and