[LAU] focusrite-control running in wine

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Dec 17 14:06:39 UTC 2017

On 12/17/2017 10:47 AM, Peter wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> has someone managed to run successfully focusrite-control.exe inside wine?
> I'd really like to access the hardware mixer from Linux.
> I have no windows installed on my Laptop, so I can't test whether there is
> an issue with the usb ports.
>
> I installed focusrite-control-2.1.7.exe in all kind of different ways,
> using wine from kubuntu 17.10,  and winehg-staging. All I managed is
> that the
> programm opens and reports "No Hardware connected", same for the ASIO
> control.
> I also tried the live version of
> io-live--2017.03--e22-k4.14-k4.14-rt1-amd64,
> with the same result.
>
> Opening winecfg I can switch to my Scarlett 18i20 and  pushing the
> button for testing sound it works. I've also installed OpenMPT1.27.02
> inside wine
> and it works nicely. There, I can even switch to 96kHz, which doesn't
> work on ALSA/JACK,
> so something is done inside wine, not just passing to the outside.

Hi Peter,

I don't know about wine, but the main issue is that if the device is
used by ALSA (kernel driver), you cannot at the same time access it from
a user-space application (maybe try unloading the ALSA snd-usb module,
but I would not get my hopes up).

The first generation of scarlett-devices is supported by the
Linux-kernel. Since Linux 3.19 there is a dedicated driver to expose the
complete mixer interface and there are also some UIs.

At some point Focusrite changed the USB-IDs, and perhaps also the
protocol. As far as I know, nobody has yet investigated or reverse
engineered those.

Cheers!
robin

see also: