[LAU] focusrite-control running in wine

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sun Dec 17 19:55:44 UTC 2017

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf-ZCLZIpdjs0kJGwgDXS7ZQA at public.gmane.org>
writes:

> On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 20:02:20 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 19:48:09 +0100, Peter wrote:
>>>Maybe the Focusrite ASIO driver can't work inside wine.
>>
>>Again, host operating system vs guest operating system. An emulated
>>windows inside a Linux host depends on the Linux host's drivers. Some
>>software might work, if the host doesn't grab the device, so
>>blacklisting the Linux related module might be a partial solution for
>>accessing some features by the guest's software, however, a driver
>>installed to a Windows guest has got no impact to the abilities of the
>>host drivers.
>
> Badly phrased. Furthermore, guest's drivers can't replace host drivers.
> Your operating system still is Linux, whatever your emulation, virtual
> machine, container might provide as a guest operating system.

Wine has no guest operating system.  It just has Windows system calls.
Rather surprisingly to me, the Korg nanoKontrol configuration program
works under Wine, so Wine maps a sufficient number of Windows APIs to
the Linux USB stack to have this work.

In contrast, comparable Windows utilities for Firewire executables are
just dead.  Obviously Firewire's mindshare died faster than the efforts
of the Wine developers turned to attacking rather tricky tasks.

--
David Kastrup