[LAU] USB audio interfaces with more than 16 digital output channels ?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Dec 21 05:57:25 UTC 2017

That sounds pretty ambitious! An ambisonic sound setup that anyone can
use simply by plugging the audio interface into their computer? For
Linux, Mac OS X and Windows? What's the intent?

I think Linux and Mac would have a chance since they seem to work with
class-compliant devices without requiring a special driver. Windows
users will probably have to install a driver for the audio interface,
even if it's set in class compliant mode, since Windows tends to want to
grab proprietary vendor-specific drivers, yes?

In all cases, I'd think the user would have to configure their audio
setup for the ambisonic setup ...

It's been a long while since I tried my simple class-compliant USB
interface with Windows. Years back, my church band's sound tech used to
record us using a 12-channel Firewire interface and Windows XP. When his
laptop died and was replaced with a Windows 7 laptop, suddenly it
wouldn't work with the interface.

Maybe you could set up a single Linux computer to connect to the audio
interface, and have people connect to the interface via the computer
over a network (either wired or wireless)? Then they'd have to configure
their audio to go over the network connection, and possibly still end up
requiring a driver for the audio interface.

Good luck, keep the list posted, it sounds like something fun!

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community