[LAU] Bye Bye 32 bit

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Dec 26 21:59:42 UTC 2017

On Tue, December 26, 2017 2:34 pm, Will Godfrey wrote:
> It seems everyone is dropping support for 32 bit machines these days -

64 bit x86 based processors were first released over 12 years ago.  I
don't think you have been able to buy a 32 bit only x86 processor for over
5 years now, so the numbers of 32 bit only machines is dwindling.

> It makes me wonder how long it will be before single core machines go the
> same way.

That depends on what you mean.  You have not been able to purchase a new
single core processor in quite a few years.  As far as I am aware there
are no distributions which build without SMP support, but an SMP capable
kernel can run on a single core, so the situation with core count is not
quite the same as the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit builds.

--
Chris Caudle