[LAU] Bye Bye 32 bit

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Fri Dec 29 18:35:38 UTC 2017

On Fri, December 29, 2017 12:10 pm, Chris Caudle wrote:
> any modern multi-socket server or workstation is considered
> cache-coherent NUMA

The lscpu utility will show how many NUMA nodes the kernel scheduler
considers your machine to have.
You can also install numactl to show more details, the output of numactl
--hardware will display the difference in memory access latencies between
the different nodes.  You can use more manual control of process placement
with numactl but I don't think that is typically worth the effort on dual
socket machines.  Maybe if you are trying to tune your database for
maximum performance on an 8 or 16 socket machine, but that doesn't seem
like something you would typically use for audio processing.
Possibly for extremely low latency use it could be useful to pin all the
audio processes or threads to the cores which share a memory controller,
or to pin them to the socket which controls the I/O connector with the
sound card.  Again seems like a pretty special case, not something that
would go into the linux audio FAQ for example.

--
Chris  Caudle