[LAU] Sound quality of the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen

tom haddington meshugga42 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 20:45:21 UTC 2017

Hello, Ralf--

I hoped that just the headphone amps of the Focusrite
> are weak,

i have a Focusrite 2i2.  A few years ago, i sat down with a salesman to
audition headphones for it.  i called ahead before the session to let him
know what phones interested me (an expensive mixing pair), and he told me
the 2i2 didn't have strong enough drivers to run them.  He eventually sold
me a pair of Focal Spirit Professionals, which sounded fantastic--to me, at
least.  They were half the price of the pair i first mentioned, too, so
he's an excellent salesman.  Anyway, i wouldn't have suspected the same
issue with a larger model.  The problem seems to run in the family, i guess.

I suspect the Presonus is the better choice.

i'm not the most experienced guy for this opinion, but i have to concur.  i
also have to apologize for not chiming in sooner.  i own the Presonus of
your original posts and have had success with it--for my limited projects,
anyway.  It came packaged with a plugin host i bought, and the company sent
the Presonus with one of these
<https://www.amazon.com/CableWholesales-Speed-Desktop-Powered-Multi/dp/B003V1QNQU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1483821043&sr=8-4&keywords=multi+TT+usb+interface>.
i've used it to plug the Presonus into my computer when i want to record
and have never had an issue.  The MIDI connections even show up in
Patchage.  Again, my apologies for not chiming in sooner.  i don't own an
iPad and didn't think i could help with that issue.

Keep trying Ralf, though i won't blame you for not trying the Presonus,
again.  You'll come across a solution, soon.

Tom