[LAU] Sound quality of the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jan 8 17:34:10 UTC 2017

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 13:04:10 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>So if you want to be taken seriously, produce some measurements,
>it's easy enough.

How should it be easy to measure at home? It likely is possible to
get an audio source for the measurement, but what should I do to measure
the output? Connect it to some obscure input :D? Do you want to be
taken seriously ;)?

>BTW, how did you test the line outs ? Connected them so some
>unbalanced input ? If the line outs are truly balanced (as
>per the specs) that would short-circuit the negative signal.
>Anything can happen in that case.

The user guide says that TRS jacks could be used for balanced and TS
jacks could be used for unbalanced connections. So seemingly the
negative signal and ground of the TRS sockets were connected, when I
used TS jacks for an unbalanced connection. If this should be handled by
the device in a way that anything could happen and they should have some
reputation to take care of, I wonder why it's mentioned by the user
guide. I could test connecting TRS to TRS the Focusrite with my
Behringer mixer, but my amp provides unbalanced inputs only and the
Behringer mixer doesn't sound that good.

Regards,
Ralf