[LAU] Sound quality of the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jan 9 12:09:06 UTC 2017

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 20:53:37 +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:
>OOTB it patches analog inputs through to the outputs

The 18i20 2nd Gen doesn't. I made a first recording.

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 20:44:27 +0100, Johannes Kroll wrote:
>Don't you want to adjust gain, change routing etc? I do that often.

I'm usually doing this with an anlog mixing console or with hdspmixer
for my HDSPe AIO card.

The main usage of the Focusrite should be

Linux PC         iPad
MIDI out ------> MIDI in
ADAT in  <------ ADAT out

Sure, sometimes I want to record using the iPad, then there anyway no
control is available. At 128 frames even software monitoring might be
ok. It also would be nice to have an USB device for recording with
Linux computers, but then again, 128 frames seem to allow software
monitoring and usually anyway an anlog mixing console is involved, so
routing and monitoring is no issue at all.

Since the inputs aren't passed through to the outputs, I don't patch
and test the Linux mixer for the 1 Gen.

I consider to stay with the Focusrite for the iPad, but consider to buy
a RME Babyface for the Linux PC, to completely replace the HDSPe AIO or
to just buy e.g. an 18i6 or any other device, to get the ADAT inputs, I
don't get by using the HDSPe, but to keep the HDSPe for analog recording
and stereo mixing.