[LAU] balanced <--> unbalanced

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jan 10 13:02:09 UTC 2017

Hi,

in this German document [1] Sengpil [2] added a note for

  balanced out ---> unbalanced in

for electronically balanced out without galvanic isolation to ground. He
mentioned to connect the + signal _and_ ground (not _with_ ground,
just to prevent against a misunderstanding), but the - signal should be
unconnected.

IOW

balanced out + -------------> unbalanced in
             - NC
             0 ------------->

There's a lot of chaotic half-truth about this topic in forums.
Considering this document, it makes sense why not all
balanced <--> unbalanced connections require the same kind of cable and
especially why I didn't notice an issue for balanced <--> unbalanced
connections before I got the Focusrite. However, the headphone amps of
the Focusrite are still crap and apart from connecting the Focusrite
blanced ---> balanced to itself, I even didn't ensure that the
balanced ---> unbalanced issue mentioned by Fons is the culprit, but it
could be the reason for the bad sound.

It might be useful for others, too.

[1] http://www.sengpielaudio.com/Geraeteverbindungen.pdf
[2] http://www.sengpielaudio.com/Searchengine.htm