[LAU] Linux audio on Intel NUC

Guillaume Pellerin lists at parisson.com
Tue Jan 10 14:22:08 UTC 2017

Hi Len,

Le 22/12/2016 à 19:04, Len Ovens a écrit :
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2016, Guillaume Pellerin wrote:
>
>> As a sysadmin of several headless audio/video recording and streaming NUC
>> servers working 24/7, I can say those machines are very stable.
>> I use them with a custom RT kernel and jackd as a sound server daemon driving
>> some various external USB pro sound cards (M-Audio, Focusrite, Lexicon, etc..)
>> and USB webcams.
>
> Just out of interest, are they all the same model?

No, I use different models.

> Which model(s) do you use?

I don't have the references ATM, but they are Intel NUCs from 1st to 3rd generation.

> If you use more than one kind, have you noticed any difference?

Only against the kernel version needed, latest models requiring revent kernels...

> What latency do you use? (jack terms are fine 128/2 for example)

I use high latency for many box but I've been able to work at 10ms over a USB
card and a reasonable audio process.

> I note the use of webcams, does that mean you are also streaming video?

yes

>> The only pb I have is when micro power losses appear sometimes, but this is out
>> of topic.
>
> My understanding is that they run on 12V, (maybe 16V laptop PS). Power out
> issues should be easier to deal with on these than with a desktop. I understand
> that in your case the trouble may not be great enough to make adding battery BU
> worth while. But for others concidering them it is worth the note.

I think the problem comes from electromagnetic interferences in my environment.
I've been able to not have the looses in other spaces..

Cheers