[LAU] Introducing AVL Drumkits LV2!

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vivaldi.net
Mon Jan 16 06:57:34 UTC 2017

On måndag 16 januari 2017 kl. 00:20:35 CET Robin Gareus wrote:
> The underlying tech here is quite basic. It's a dumb sample player, it
> does not stop an open HH hit when you trigger a closed hit or pedal. I'm
> sorry to disappoint you.
>
> and, no: A cross-fade or ADSR linked to a MIDI-CC does not cut it; at
> least not with the fixed small sample-set.
>
> The goal here is to cover 90% of the common cases and make it easy.
>
> We had this discussion on and found that the bottleneck is actually
> sequencing itself: Knowing what a real drummer would play and not
> construct conflicting hits involving 4 hands and 3 feet. Adding more
> elaborate kit controls don't help on that matter.
>
> Personally I think if you want nuances on HIHat and Snare there's no way
> around recording a real drum-kit. MIDI just doesn't cut it, even with
> commercial tools such as AD2 or EZdrummer.

It is possible to make the HH "sound like a real drummer" using CC's and it's
done by Natural drum Kit and others. But I do understand why you haven't
implemented it and the resources you have; I still believe that this is a huge
step forward when it comes to virtual drumming in Linux and will use it when
it suits a project.

Well Done!

Jostein