[LAU] Introducing AVL Drumkits LV2!

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Jan 16 21:57:08 UTC 2017

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 14:01:11 +0100
Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

> On 01/16/2017 01:57 AM, jonetsu wrote:
>> Of course not if you consider, in general, physical modelling.
>> And specifically, the u-he research group for instance:

> They're doing an awesome job yes, but it's not even close to a real
> kit:

> Now hit that thing on the side, try a rimshot, then take some brushes,
> hot-rods and eventually throw some chains onto it.

I have to disagree here also.  By my side is a KORG Wavedrum, not recent
technology, on which one can brush your fingers to produce a sound and
then use hands to play and then again use sticks on the top, on
the sides, everywhere, each with different effects.  You can also apply
pressure like a talking drum while playing.  Parts of the rim is dented
so when a stick is brushed against sonic variations happens.

As you play conga-like, you can insert any type of hand brushing,
pressure, fingering tabla-like, switch from your nails to the tip of
the fingers, mute sounds with palm pressure, etc...

Since it responds from a light brushing of the fingers to the strongest
hit by a stick, yes, you can use chains.  Or a paintbrush.  Possibly
you could even drop the contents of a box of toothpicks on it.

And again, this is not new technology.  It was developed by Standford
university in conjunction with Yamaha.  It is an instrument and has to
be treated as such on stage, just like miking an acoustic guitar or
amplifying vocals.  It can produce feedbacks.

> Some physical models could describe that, but the interface is the
> problem.  There's some work on that end, too. but MIDI is not going to
> cut it, which is what my point was.

Now what could be the possibilities of having the Wavedrum technology
meet the u-he physical modelling of drums ?  Or perhaps better, a
revised version of the Wavedrum technology ?  Should we say it is
impossible in our world ?  Should we say that legal issues and patents
will prevent this and therefore, it is totally impossible ?

The point is, the interface technology exists.  And is so cheap that a
poor guy like me can afford it.

It could give birth to an *instrument* like a guitar is an instrument.
MIDI guitars, while some exists (eg. Godin Multiac guitars), are
not the rage.  Physical modelling of drums using a proper Wavedrum-like
interface could also be an instrument with no direct link to MIDI
output in its most basic form.