[LAU] digital input to stereo receiver, maybe through ethernet

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Mar 28 07:51:58 UTC 2017

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 21:14:14 -0700 Dan Hitt <dan.hitt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a pretty ancient stereo receiver that i'm thinking of replacing
> or supplementing with something newer.
>
> It looks like some of the new receivers have an ethernet jack, as well
> as usb.  For example, see these Denons:
> https://usa.denon.com/us/news/news/177
>
> What i would like to do is get a receiver like that, and put it on my
> network, and then use it to play audio.  Ideally, it could show up on
> the hosts on the network as some kind of device (like /dev/receiver)
> to which audio files could be catted.

I do have a current denon with ethernet port (and wifi). They are
controllable via android-app or web-interface, they can play internet
radio and music from an attached usb stick. What I haven't gotten to
work is playing from network resources (because I have neither samba
nor an dlna-server running). What is working fine is stream music via
bluetooth from my android phone. Didn't try with linux as the desktop
is in a different room and has studio monitors attached to it.

I like the Digital Room Correction of my Denon amp, some sweeps on the
main listening positions and it gives you really good sound in the
living room. I have mine running with four JBL control 1 pro and it
didn't irritate the amp that there is neither a center nor a subwoofer,
it just works.
The app and the web-interface are both on the verge of crap, they work
good enough to not directly rewriting them, but the fact that denon
also publishes the network protocol definition to control the amps
really tempts me to write my own control for the amp. And to integrate
it into the ongoing diy home automation project.

- Arnold