[LAU] #stream2own

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Wed Mar 29 15:09:47 UTC 2017

On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 16:10:44 +0200
Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would not call consumers dumb. We are all mostly consumers. Each
> one of us produces only a small amount compared to everything else we
> consume ;)

Yes.  And the important part of the production should be of a spiritual
nature.  It's not really the 'consumers' that I would call dumb, but
the advertising that makes them look dumb by using all kind of tricks,
very often cheap tricks and very often, well-studied levers and
triggers.  The dumb part would fall in when there's positive reaction
to those events.  In that sense, temporarily, a consumer could be
called dumb.  He's been had.  Not a permamnent state, though.
Hopefully. :)

> But yeah, I get your point, although I did not notice that. They
> claim to have 900+ artists.

I was tempted to write a short Perl script to harvest every page,
extract the artist name and run it through uniq or such.  Just as an
exercise.

Without that, 12 artists per page times 52 pages makes 624.

Blurb:

   "As of this moment 925 musicians and 137 labels have joined. Preview
    this random playlist, then become a member to hear more."

So this is short of 925.  Moreover, the repetitions within these pages
might be around 30% if not more.  At 30% that makes approx. 487
distinct entities.

I mean, why.  Why play with people's mind ?  What else is in store
from the same people ?  Are we supposed to only have fun and laughs and
not bother with such little details because they're a startup and well,
you know, startups are not easy, they have to draw people in, in short,
they cannot be 100% honest at the start.  And they need my money. So
when does the honesty is factored in ?

Disclaimer: in about 1.5 year I got 6300 listens on Soundcloud.  For
Resonate that would be about $82.  That is, if people would 1) pay to
listen 2) do not hang up after 45 seconds.  So I'm not on the market
actively searching for such an outlet but, nevertheless, I keep an eye
open and look at some when it happens.  My observation on the artists
pages and their numbers here stems simply from that short evaluation.

The intent might be good, but the implementation shows, IMHO,
apparent dishonesty that is not called for.  The owner tugs in the 2008
financial crisis and solidarity between people to support the use
of the co-op concept.  If this is so, then why not be honest right
from the start with the 'people' ?  I go by the actions, not by the
promises.

https://medium.com/resonatecoop/the-story-behind-resonate-4b1658677663

Cheers.