[LAU] #stream2own

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Mar 31 11:26:38 UTC 2017

> To Glen's post:
>
> Things are not necessarily that bad. I can say, for example, that my
> experience with Bandcamp is extremely positive. Without being a known
> musician I am generating some nice pocket money. My Paypal typically has
> over 100-150 EUR, all thanks to purchases of my music by people on
> Bandcamp. The stream of purchases is not too thick, but yet constant.
>
> At the same time, if you are an established artist (and there are many
> known musicians on Bandcamp) their profits could be very sizeable thanks
> the fact that Bandcamp's revenue share is very transparent and it actually
> gets smaller the more you sell.
>
> Here is an example of my release that got quite a lot of purchases:
> https://louigi.bandcamp.com/album/droning267
>
> Note that not all purchases are shown - if people are not registered as
> listeners on Bandcamp they can buy the album, but their avatar will not be
> shown under the cover art - because they have no account there.
>

> Here is an example of an established artist. Note the endlessness of
> purchases.
> https://carbonbasedlifeforms.bandcamp.com/album/world-of-sleepers
>

> However, nobody will do your promotion for you. So just putting out tracks
> and then doing nothing will not bring any audiences. This latter point is
> key and I can talk a lot about that. Putting out your music is just the
> beginning.
>
> So, people complain about not being able to sell anything, but it is
> always
> more than just the music. It is about promotion, it is about making your
> music bigger than just a bunch of tracks. Presentation and promotion
> matter
> very-very much.
>
> For instance, i am absolutely positive that just uploading tracks to
> resonate.io will not do anything for you. I also uploaded tracks to
> resonate.io - 0 listens. And it will stay that way forever, until I
> actually take time to promote it among my listeners.

Just to clarify, it's https://resonate.is

Here's a couple of tips for maximising your exposure on Resonate.

Make sure to edit the meta data for each track and especially add the
genre tags.  You can edit the meta data for each track in the song manager
tab.

You might find that your tracks get plays without any promotion. In the
beta app* the default behavior is tracks are randomly selected for the
user.

* access to the beta app is available to artists that have uploaded
tracks. Other members gain access by paying the E5 membership fee.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd