[LAU] Latency issues (Re: Arch Wiki Professional_audio)

Robert Edge thumbknucklerocks at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 14:44:50 UTC 2017

30 feet would be closer to 30ms, and is enough to make the feeling of
playing the note and the sensation of hearing it start to feel
disconnected.

Try this stuff for yourself: take your synth or guitar or bass or what have
you, plug it in to your computer, put a simple delay in the path with
something like jack_rack, and play.  At some point it's going to start
feeling weird.  Exactly where that point is depends on the person and the
nature of the sounds you are making.

Here's another thing you can do: fire up hydrogen and make a pattern which
is just a clave or cross stick playing quarter notes at a slow tempo.  send
the output to both directly to your sound card as well as to an instance of
jack rack with a short delay.  start increasing the delay time, by 30ms you
will hear a clear flam.