[LAU] [Slightly OT]: small studio tour with photos online

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue May 2 14:27:24 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2 May 2017, Jeanette C. wrote:

> May 1 2017, Ralf Mardorf has written:
> resp. the missing
>> mixing console is a little bit unique,
> I have a feeling that most people recommend a mixing desk, but going
> directy into the computer is very convenient and saves space. :) Yea, I
> do lack a nice hardware channel strip, but a nice one would cost me. :)

I have a mixer in my "Studio". Really, it comes from days gone by when I
had a Fostex R8 tape machine. I still use it for the mic preamps (though
they are not up to my ribbon mic) and monitoring. I would be better off
with buying new preamps as I need them... I have one stereo pre now and
for most of my work that is double what I need. It may be nice to have
lots of inputs and never have to change wiring, but more inputs to the
computer means more work for the computer to do that could be used for
doing other things. For this use (mostly high-ish level signals in) and
monitoring computer plus one input at a time... the Audio interface's
mixer is as much as needed.

I would say this studio is a good study in putting money to good use. Only
buying what is needed to get the job done. How many other studios (even
keyboard based like this) can say they have a clav?

If I was starting over... a mixer would be much farther down the list.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net