[LAU] OT: Monitor setups

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue May 2 15:48:32 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2 May 2017, Antony Gelberg wrote:

> Oops, indeed I meant video monitors. *blush*
>
> On 2 May 2017 at 15:44, Moshe Werner <moshwe at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>       On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 2:14 PM, Antony Gelberg
>       <antony.gelberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>       Hi all,
> As somewhat-on-topic posts seem to be welcome here:
>  1. When working with audio, do you use more than one monitor?
>  2. If so, how do you generally divide things up between the
>     monitors, for different stages of the process?

Two monitors... 4 workspaces. Not really standard I would imagine. One
workspace is all online stuff, browser on one side, terminal logged into
the server for irc, mail, server maint (using screen) on the other.

Workspace 2 is all audio, editor on one side and mixer on the other
(Ardour)... also some terminals around as I run from command line (makes
testing easier) and Open-Stage-Control because I do OSC testing right now.

Workspace 3 is open in case my wife asks for a scan or I want to update
the family web site with new pictures or whatever.

Workspace 4 (lower right) is my development set. left has Geany and right
has various terminals and file browsers open.

It used to be that if I was using a softsynth or hydrogen I would have
them in a separate workspace as well, but plugins have replaced
most of that any more. I also do more analog recording than synth as I
have not gotten the sound/feel I want from drum machine stuff... though
this may change things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrr9lr_Pbkg&t=54s
(Developed in Ardour, thanks Nick)

--