[LAU] OT: Monitor setups

Antony Gelberg antony.gelberg at gmail.com
Wed May 3 22:28:02 UTC 2017

Crojav, do you use multiple workspaces on one monitor?

Brent, isn't it a bit cramped with the tracks and mixer on the same screen?

Maurizio, you're a hero! Three monitors! But it does sound like two is okay
as well. Also, Patchage looks interesting, what does it offer over qjackctl?

Does anybody get by with only one monitor? Does anybody have a certain
setup for recording, then a different setup for mixing? Screenshots /
photographs welcome!

My reason for asking is that I'm just getting back into DAW work, I don't
have a control surface any more, and I'm not quite sure how to get my
workflow going. Using ardour, hydrogen, qjackctl, with a bit of guitarix,
yoshimi, qsynth... Not sure everything needs to be open at once, but want
to retain flexibility.

It's really interesting seeing people writing about workspaces. I haven't
been into them in the slightest since I went back to a "normal" window
manager (xfce) from my ratpoison / ion3 days. I guess I just like to have
most things in front of me, and I can always Alt-Tab or use the taskbar to
get to another program. Let's face it, 90% of our lives are in the web
browser when we're not doing audio, right? ;)

PS This is the first time I've participated meaningfully on a mailing list
for many years, and in the meantime, top-posting has become the norm.
Really hard to quote your posts, sorry. :(

http://www.linkedin.com/in/antgel
http://about.me/antonygelberg