[LAU] OT: Monitor setups

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri May 5 02:26:51 UTC 2017

On Thu, 4 May 2017 11:15:54 -0700 (PDT), Len Ovens wrote:
>On Thu, 4 May 2017, Maurizio Berti wrote:
>> I really prefer Patchage over QjackCtl's patchbay (actually, I don't
>> even use QjackCtl anymore) because it allows you to have everything
>> on one viewport, Jack audio, and both ALSA and Jack midi, and place
>> everything where you need, allowing you a better graphical
>> organization of the patchbay. When you have projects with more than
>> 30-40 ports, that could be a mess in QjackCtl.
>
>It starts to get to be a real mess in patchage too, pretty quick, even
>with full screen. Even 10 tracks with a few effects busses gets to
>that 30 or more ports. Add drums... and the numbers go up quick. Grid
>based, sectioned starts to look really good. That is splitting the
>midi from audio, inputs from outputs, hardware from software, etc.

IMO QjackCtl is the second best tool to organize connections. The best
way isn't to use a separated tool at all. In my experiences there's no
need to use QackCtl, when using Ardour. However, Qjackctl follows a
patchbay approach and Patchage simulates messy placed gear. In the real
world we are using a patchbay, to easily connect messy placed gear.In
short, QjackCtl does the right thing, while IMO the approach of
Patchage is (to put it politely) absurd.

--
"Access to all language versions of Wikipedia was blocked in Turkey on
29 April 2017." -