[LAU] Motu 1248 - Full success

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat May 13 06:51:31 UTC 2017

Hi,

IMO we should get used to USB class compliant devices _even without
access to the hardware mixer_. With my new mobo (elCheapo,as well as
the CPU, it's just an Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1840 @ 2.80GHz) I noticed
that even if IRQs are shared with USB and even if it is impossible to
unbind devices, even if IRQs of some components differ with each
reboot, low latency without xruns is provided.

I've got a RME HDEPe AIO PCIe card and a Focusrite Scarlett 2nd Gen
18i20 USB audio interface and get lower latency at 2 Periods/Buffer
(dunno why some are using 3 Periods/Buffer) for the Focusrite USB, than
I get with the RME PCIe card.

I don't had the money to buy a RME class compliant USB device, but
since I've got a job now, I much likely will replace the Focusrite with
a RME USB device.

Ignoring the approach of using an external mixing console for hardware
monitoring, I guess access to the hardware mixer matrix, as well as to
effects of the audio interface isn't really required, if latency is low
enough.

Those using a mixing console don't need to worry about monitoring
latency and access to the audio interfaces hardware mixer at all and
those not using a mixing console should consider that modern PCs with
tendencies to drop PCI slots, come with improved hardware, higher RAM
speed etc., so much likely software monitoring isn't an issue anymore.

2 Cents,
Ralf