[LAU] Motu 1248 - Full success

Mon May 15 05:42:29 UTC 2017

On 05/13/2017 05:09 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 13 May 2017 13:50:40 +0200, list wrote:
>> Le Fri, 12 May 2017 22:09:26 +0200, list a écrit :
>>> I think it's safe to say that the AVB serie (1248 / 624 / ULTRALITE)
>>> is working  for Gnu/Linux.
>>
>> Hmm according to Fernando's message  :
>>
>>> I had problems with the newer generation of Motu cards that have a
>>> USB3 interface, so beware. Those work fine with USB2 connections but
>>> then the I/O is restricted to 24 channels input and output
>>
>> Fernando : Have you had a chance to tweak/test the bios settings
>> related to USB  : hands off / legacy and others options that
>> motherboard sometimes offers ?
>
> Don't waste your limited life span with such questions and possible
> workarounds, since it's not worse the effort, assuming making music
> should be your aim. Get a class compliant USB device and ignore all
> those special offers, just use a modern PC + the audio interface as a
> class compliant audio interface and don't use the audio devices hardware
> monitoring and any additional features.

In case you did not notice this is, AFAIK, a class compliant device. It
works fine over USB2 as a class compliant device but the channel count
is limited (which might be fine, it depends on the application).

When using the USB3 transport layer (ie: connected to a USB3 port
instead of USB2), the Linux kernel has problems with the interface. I
have not had time to look at this further - I selected and I'm using the
older devices that work fine for my needs using USB2.

>_Simply_ use a mixing console
> for the monitoring or use software monitoring with less latency.

As usual it depends. Sometimes that is just not an option.

> You need to weighing up your "available lifetime" with "computer geek
> trendy" vs "the passion to make music".

Thanks for the advice. It is, and always has been, a balancing act. I
think I'm doing fine (https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~nando/).

This is (I think) a Linux kernel problem. If nobody spent time trying to
hunt down weird problems like this one we would not have Linux or this
list.

-- Fernando