[LAU] Motu 1248 - Full success

Mon May 15 05:48:32 UTC 2017

On 05/13/2017 04:50 AM, list wrote:
> Hello All !
>
> Le Fri, 12 May 2017 22:09:26 +0200,
> list <list at contacte.xyz> a écrit :
>>
>> I think it's safe to say that the AVB serie (1248 / 624 / ULTRALITE)
>> is working  for Gnu/Linux.
>
> Hmm according to Fernando's message  :
>
>> I had problems with the newer generation of Motu cards that have a
>> USB3
>> interface, so beware. Those work fine with USB2 connections but then
>> the I/O is restricted to 24 channels input and output (in the older
>> generation and with the latest firmware you can select whether you
>> have
>> more channels and less sampling rate options or visceversa - that is
>> not available in these new cards). If you connect to an USB3 port the
>> USB subsystem in the kernel hangs or gets really confused. Reboot
>> time :-(
>
> The MOTU 624 might have troubles, as the USB port is a USB3 one.

Yes, it looks like that one might be affected, it is probably based on
the same platform. I tested (and still have) an 8A.

> I really have to find one to test.
>
> Fernando : Have you had a chance to tweak/test the bios settings
> related to USB  : hands off / legacy and others options that motherboard
> sometimes offers ?

No, sorry, no time to test further. I don't think I saw any options in
the BIOS of the mobo I was testing with. It seemed like a pretty bad
USB3 problem (or interaction with the firmware and/or hardware in the
8A). The interface was recognized fine, but any attempt to use it would
hang the driver and require a reboot. This was perhaps a month ago or
more, maybe there is newer Motu firmware. Also, this was on 4.9.11-rt9,
newer kernels might have this fixed (or might be worse :-)...

Best luck!
-- Fernando