[LAU] Best practices when using jackd over a LAN.

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Nov 1 18:36:26 UTC 2017

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017, David Woodfall wrote:

> I have been using jackd to play music from my laptop -> server -> hifi.

Have you also tried zita-njbridge?

It has been some time since I tried netjack (or zita-njbridge). At least one
machine upgrade...

Also, you may want to look into open AVB which has jack to jack capability and
with the right nic will allow your audio stream to have priority over other
network traffic. But it is more to set up.

In any case, if there is more than one audio card some resampling will have to
happen (even with AVB with most consumer AIs). In the case above, your hifi
will have to be master I am not sure in that case why there would be a server
in the middle, but it looks like you have the server getting it's sync from the
hifi and then the laptop gets it's sync from that? Is the network used for
other things besides sound? Is audio traffic prioritized? In all machines? In
any switches?

Looking into AVB and or AES67 and the requirements for no dropout sound may be
helpful. Netjack is designed for single hop, no other network traffic, no
switch, audio transport. zita-njbridge is designed to handle switches and some
other traffic a bit better. The standard streamers like icecast, etc. use long
latency end to end (500ms or more) to avoid dropouts.

So in the end you have to choose your own priorities in sound quality and
latency as well as how much money you want to spend and how much time setting
it up.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net