[LAU] Best practices when using jackd over a LAN.

David Woodfall dave at dawoodfall.net
Wed Nov 1 19:00:50 UTC 2017

>On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 18:25:46 +0000, David Woodfall wrote:
>>I guess I'll have to do some kernel compiling
>>again to see if it helps.
>
>You already used a kernel with threadirqs, a RT kernel could improve
>things, but can't do magic.
>
>What distro are you using? Perhaps the distro provides a "better"
>kernel. Did you already rule out other culprits? Shared IRQs, frequency
>scaling, BIOS settings? Are you using rtirq? If so, did you check the
>status?

I was using slackware then and now. I used to customise the kernels a
lot and take out all the 'generic' drivers that I could, and remove
anything that didn't match the hardware. I don't really bother with
such tweaking now, and just stick to the stock 'huge' kernel.

Frequency scaling is either powersave or performance on this T420 with
pstates in the kernel, but switching to performance hasn't helped
much. The strange thing is that I have a dual core server running the
same version of slackware, kernel, jack and mplayer and it has no
xruns, even in powersave mode. It's also an intel CPU with pstates.

I haven't tried rtirq yet. I'll give that a shot.