[LAU] Best practices when using jackd over a LAN. SOLVED.

David Woodfall dave at dawoodfall.net
Thu Nov 2 01:29:21 UTC 2017

>On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 13:07:45 -0500, Chris Caudle wrote:
>>(e.g. -n1024 instead of -n128)
>
>-p not -n ;), funny typo ;).

I tried playing an album (single file) with mplayer using the alsa
backend and never got a single xrun. That is on a non-low latency
kernel. So I knew that there were no problems on the local system.

I found that whenever I tried to set anything regarding latency in the
netone driver they either didn't do anything, or the settings were
overridden. Setting num periods on the master jackd didn't seem to
make any difference.

So I watched the client jackd output while I started it and saw:

NetOne driver started
AutoConfig Override !!!
AutoConfig Override: Master JACK sample rate = 44100
AutoConfig Override: capture_channels_audio = 2
AutoConfig Override: capture_channels_midi = 0
AutoConfig Override: playback_channels_audio = 2
AutoConfig Override: playback_channels_midi = 0

Then I found that jack_netsource has its own latency setting:

-n periods
    Network latency in JACK periods

So I tried setting that and got results. I'm using -n12 which isn't a
great delay in audio startup, less than a second.

It seems that jack_netsource will override the netone client for some
of the settings, like MTU for instance. Also the sample rate is set by
the master.

I still see some glitches like:

JackEngine::XRun: client = MPlayer [32590] was not finished, state =
Triggered
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

But there was no audible glitch. It would need tweaking more to get
rid of those errors I guess, but for now I'm happy with it.

Thanks all for your help and ideas.