[LAU] Control iPad synth

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Nov 2 15:53:58 UTC 2017

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf-ZCLZIpdjs0kJGwgDXS7ZQA at public.gmane.org>
writes:

> On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 22:24:01 +0100, Christopher Arndt wrote:
>>For older iPads with 30-pin connector:
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-Camera-Connection-Kit/dp/B003RV3N1C/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8
>
> I bought a Chinese CCK for 6,99€. I heard several times that
> those Chinese products should be from less good quality, than original
> Apple products, but my experiences with Chinese products prove those
> rumours false.

A few points of reference: I bought a USB multicard reader (actually
2).  Either of them made it close to impossible to insert a Memory Stick
because of plastic ridges, and the contacts were arranged in a manner
that within very few uses they were bent out of shape.  Inserting an M2
flashcard required so much force that you feared for it.  It worked for
SD cards and microSD (and a miniSD adapter).

THen I got a (used) Expresscard reader of Chinese provenience.  This
works mostly fine, but you cannot use a (Sandisk) Memory Stick Duo to
Memory Stick adapter in it: it peels it into pieces.  I haven't figured
out how it does that.  A straightforward Memory Stick works reasonably
well.

Then there are the infamous ubiquitous USB-to-Midi adapters with a
violin clef printed on them.  They mangle SysEx information (each time
differently) and only manage to pass notes unmolested.

Basically, the mechanics may be too cheaply produced, and bad chips
don't get retired.  There is no quality control.

You may be lucky, or not.  Sometimes it is easier to buy from a local
brand that OEMs Chinese stuff (Delock, Ednet, Hama...) because at least
they have some sort of quality control and can pressure their suppliers
a bit.  And returning stuff is easier.

--
David Kastrup