[LAU] Control iPad synth

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Nov 3 04:36:56 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 15:04:57 +0100, Christopher Arndt wrote:
>Am 02.11.2017 um 04:08 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
>> On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 22:24:01 +0100, Christopher Arndt wrote:
>>> For older iPads with 30-pin connector:
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-Camera-Connection-Kit/dp/B003RV3N1C/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8
>>
>> I bought a Chinese CCK for 6,99€. I heard several times that
>> those Chinese products should be from less good quality, than
>> original Apple products, but my experiences with Chinese products
>> prove those rumours false.
>
>Do you have a 30-pin or a Lightning connector on your iPad?

Yes, it's an iPad 2.

>So you use this chinese adapter to connect your interface via USB?

Yes.

>> there's no need for an active (or passive) USB hub, when
>> using the Focusrite.
>
>That's good. But don't recall anybody claiming otherwise ;)

Nobody did, but de facto an USB hub often is required to outwit the
current limitation. It not necessarily needs to be an active hub. First
I tested a Presonus 1818vsl, since it's also listed as iPad compatible,
but it is one of those audio interfaces, that require an USB hub to
work, even while it has it's own power supply, too. For some unknown
reason only audio in worked, so it wasn't really compatible with my
iPad, IOW it's wise to test USB compliant audio devices, before buying
one. Btw. when using the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen with Linux,
instead of the iPad, it allows lower latency, than the Presonus. Audio
quality can't compare to my PC's RME audio card, but it is far and away
superior to the iPad's intern audio device. The synth emulation
available for the iPad. e.g. Oberheim, can't compare to my real
Oberheim, but they are low priced and are far better than all available
FLOSS synth for Linux I ever heared, so its nice to be able to connect
an iPad with a Linux PC via audio and MIDI.
--
Guerilla Open Access Manifesto:
https://archive.org/stream/GuerillaOpenAccessManifesto/Goamjuly2008_djvu.txt