[LAU] How to get aubio commandline tools?

James Harkins jamshark70 at zoho.com
Tue Nov 7 03:16:46 UTC 2017

Hi,

Ubuntu Studio 16.04. Was looking for tempo estimators.

I see online: https://aubio.org/manual/latest/cli.html#manpages

``
NAME
  aubio - a command line tool to extract information from sound files

COMMANDS
  tempo        get overall tempo in bpm
``

So I installed python-aubio (which was already installed, I think for pd) and aubio-tools. Then:

$ which aubio
(nothing)

Does anybody know what's up with that? The one thing I could think is that the commandline tools are new (documentation is for 0.4.5), but xenial ships 0.4.1. In which case I'd try building myself.

Or, any other tools for tempo estimation? I tried BeatTrack in SuperCollider, but it's based on a 1024-point FFT; with overlap=2, its timing resolution would be limited to 512 samples (and I found, in fact, that it would oscillate between two values, as if occasionally correcting for timing inaccuracy).

Thanks,
hjh