[LAU] FOSS DAW recommendations

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Nov 16 18:46:24 UTC 2017

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 09:02:55 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 8:49 AM, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:
>> I find Ardour has a nice interface talking to its users, but the
>> users get an awful interface for talking to Ardour.
>​??​

Given that the OP pointed out to need a DAW for "10-15 hours in a whole
year" a GUI as provided by Cubasis 2 and similar apps for iOS, is much
more intuitive to use. I don't know if non-free software for Linux
(Tracktion? or EnergyXT?) follows a similar policy, let alone that I
don't know if those DAWs are stable. However, if I would be the OP, I
would consider to pay a little bit for a DAW that is similar powerful as
Ardour is, but at the same time with a more intuitive to use user
interface and I wouldn't care about an open source code at all. It's
worth the money _especially_ when not using it very often.

Indeed, Ardour's GUI is good in giving visible information a user
needs, but its one of the most worth user interfaces for some tasks.

For most people she's dancing counterclockwise.

http://www.stangl-taller.at/ARBEITSBLAETTER/GRAFIK/taenzerin.gif

I'm completely unable to see her dancing counterclockwise. If I see
something as concave or convex, I'm usually able to concentrate or to
relax and to experience it vice versa, too. Until now she's only
dancing clockwise for me and I even wasn't creative today.

IMO Ardours user interface is completely ignoring the way most creative
people think, at least when being creative. It's possible for everybody
to use Ardour, but at least for some people it's more or less
impossible, if they want to use the software for around 15 hours a
year or a similar short time. Using Ardour without getting the needle
requires to keep it rolling.