[LAU] FOSS DAW recommendations

David W. Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Nov 17 04:48:12 UTC 2017

On November 16, 2017 4:52:10 PM HST, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2017, David W. Jones wrote:
>
> > Well, when I made an attempt to use Ardour, I quickly figured out
> that
> > its design assumed I was a fluent user of a traditional hardware
> mixer
> > and an experienced sound tech/engineer ... but I'm no music pro, so
> > could just be me.
> >
> > At the same time, I handled the physical tasks of connecting cables
> > between modules on a Moog ages ago, so maybe Ardour needs a more
> > physical UI? ;)
>
> If you don't want to hire an engineer, I am guessing you need to do
> their
> job. Just as with physical mixers and tape machines, someone needs to
> decide which physical input goes to which channel, what level and Eq
> that
> signal has, etc. etc.
>
> I guess there are some artists like the famous opra singer who
> announced
> that she did not _need_ a microphone as her voice was loud enough
> already,
> thank you. So she was recorded with the live mic sitting off to the
> side... by a hired engineer.
>
> I can not think of any Daw or Daw like sw that does not expect at
> least
> some "plugging in" or routing to be done.
>
> and yes, Ardour can be run quite well with a physical UI. Be it a
> keyboard
> with black and white keys, a control surface with faders (physical or
> touch), a keyboard with letters and numbers on it... or even a strange
>
> small box with two buttons and a wire (or not) that you slide around
> on
> your desk. It seems some people are willing to spend extra money so
> they
> can have one of each.
>
> Everything has a learning curve, a piano keyboard is not really
> intuitive,
> nor the keys of a sax... the trombone might be more such, but a not a
> trumpet for sure. The more versatile the instrument, the steeper the
> learning curve.
>
> Even with a simple Daw, you have to plug the mic in somewhere.
>
> So I fail to see your point, it seems to be "thats not good" but not
> "compare this to that" or "this way would be easier". The average
> amplifier made for someone's living room still has an input selector
> for
> routing (after the user has physically plugged in all the cords), an
> eq
> section (treble and bass... or more), a balance control and a level
> control... pretty much like each channel in a mixer.

My audio originates from soft synths driven by Rosegarden, melody input via MIDI to RG. If I was multitracking a pile of external audio sources like guitars and mics, I'd use Ardour.

What Ralf thinks about it is Ralf's opinion, not mine.

Jeez, people. I'm not against Ardour as it currently is, nor demanding it be 'dumbed down'. So can we all just get along?

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail.