[LAU] FOSS DAW recommendations

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Nov 17 07:35:41 UTC 2017

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 02:23:17 -0500, Robert Edge wrote:
>Latency compensation?  -  Sure, if I sit down at a DAW in 2017 I want
>to be able to assume that latency, both in processing blocks in the
>machine and with hardware is compensated for appropriately.  Of course
>you want that. Why would you NOT want to be able to not think about it
>and assume that everything s time correct?  With Ardour it is (mostly).

If you e.g. import wav files, you don't need hardware latency
compensation. It depends on what exactly the OP wants to do.

>Subgroups - Absolutely.  If you are dealing with any non-trivial
>project you might want to group some audio together.

Again, it depends on what the OP wants to do. Actually the OP wants to
use it for mixing, but this not necessarily implies that e.g. aux and
subgroups are required. If I would do a "non-trivial project" I would
consider to work on this project for more than just 15 hours ;).

Like the dancer we go around in circles ;). Maybe the OP could chime in
and mention why he doesn't use Ardour.