[LAU] FOSS DAW recommendations

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Nov 17 17:30:34 UTC 2017

Robert Edge <thumbknucklerocks-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
writes:

[...]

>>> It's when you start editing that things get awful.
>>>

> If you say so.  I edit like a motherfucker with Ardour.  Only system
> I'm faster on is a legit Protools rig on an adequately powerful Mac.

My usual editor is Emacs (which has become rather user-friendly over the
years, not just power-user-friendly), I've been using UNIX-like systems
since before Linux came into being.

For me user-friendly implies that when I am demoing something and a
problem crops up, I can solve that problem using means available to the
audience rather than having to revert to "please look away for a moment"
brute-force fixes the audience has no way of following.

There is a common apologetic trend of claiming that being useful to an
average user and being useful to a power-user is by necessity
incompatible.

I don't buy it.  I consider that a problem when it happens.

> It's all kind of a moot point though, because it's the only actual
> option.

Ah, but it is an actively developed option, so Ardour from the future
might be a more viable program than Ardour now.  No need to be defeatist
about it.

--
David Kastrup