[LAU] FOSS DAW recommendations

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Nov 17 22:51:10 UTC 2017

David Kastrup <dak-mXXj517/zsQ at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Robin Gareus
> <robin-+VlDMftONaMdnm+yROfE0A-XMD5yJDbdMReXY1tMh2IBg at public.gmane.org>
> writes:
>
>> On 11/17/2017 07:11 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
>>> Robert Edge
>>> <thumbknucklerocks-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w-XMD5yJDbdMReXY1tMh2IBg at public.gmane.org>

>>> Ah, so "(region name)/edit/make mono regions" does not actually edit the
>>> region.  Nor does it make it mono.  Nor does it create mono tracks.  But
>>> it adds two mono regions to the _region_ _list_ (which is rather
>>> inconspicuous and somewhere else on the screen, by default not at all)
>>> from where you can then fill newly created mono tracks.  It doesn't
>>> bother mentioning what it does in something akin to Emacs' echo area,
>>> though: "copied mono regions to region list" would have been a great
>>> hint.  It doesn't have some mouse-over help on "make mono regions"
>>> either.  You arr on your own guessing what happens.
>>>
>>> Sorry, but that's _way_ worse in discoverability than current-day
>>> Emacs.  Certainly nothing you could _discover_ on a demo.  Either you
>>> know or you don't.
>>>

>> Why even bother? just use the stereo panner and pan it all the way to
>> the left or right?
>
> Yeah, that gave me the correct left microphone on the left.  And the
> correct right microphone on the left.  At equal gain.
>
> As I said: there was not enough time to fiddle this in a strictly
> time-constrained demo.

At any rate: we had already established that I am stupid: otherwise the
mics would not have been crosswired.  The problem is that you need to be
really smart to figure out from scratch how to correct this with Ardour,
and there wasn't enough time and attention span to be really smart here.

If you need a mailing list for using an application, there is no way to
improvise actually simple stuff under realtime constraints like in a
talk.

I mean, fine, Ardour is great for making fun at others and
fingerpointing and feeling superior.  And there is some appeal in that.
But frankly, I'm too old to be using software for that reason.

--
David Kastrup