[LAU] Ardour mono/stereo separation -- was Re: FOSS DAW recommendations

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sat Nov 18 12:27:36 UTC 2017

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 07:42:19AM +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:

> Many users want the other way: Combine a two mono tracks to a stereo
> track for shared editing or FX (and there's likewise no simple way to do
> that in the editor alone, the tracks need to be a bounced).
> Track-groups are the preferred way for this for edit operations.
> subgroup-busses for FX.

The basic reason why solving this sort of problem requires some non-trivial
manipulations is Ardour's one-to-one mapping of editor tracks and mixer strips.
Which of course simplifies a lot of things, it's not there without reason.

A simple solution would be to have a routing option between the track
outputs and strip inputs. Default would be one-to-one, but then at least
you can override it if you need to (and accept the consequences).
Summing signals wouldn't be required, it can be simple selection.

This would also provide a simple solution to a requirement I face all
the time: routing a recorded track to more than one strip. And having
the bare track outputs available on Jack outputs would facilitate using
an external (HW or SW) mixer.

Ciao,

--
FA