[LAU] Repro-5 Public Beat available

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Nov 18 20:45:31 UTC 2017

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 14:46:44 -0500, jonetsu wrote:
>Linux, but not Open Source, u-he's new synth Repro-5 public beta is now
>available.  I installed it and give it a quick try for now.  Sounds
>great.  Repro-5 is the Sequential Circuit polyphonic Prophet
>synth emulation.
>
>From the KVR thread, first page:
>
>https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=494717

Thanks for the heads up :)

the Prophet 5 is one of my favourite synth. I never owned one myself,
but a friend provided different releases of the original Prophet 5, all
were midified. Some were good, other were bad. However, since the
original Prophet 5 doesn't sound as fat as e.g. original Oberheim
synths, I suspect that it is an analog synth, that is qualified to be
fully replaced by a virtual synth. I even like the Arturia iSEM,
despite it can't compare to the fatness of the sound my real
Matrix-1000 generates. OTOH the Roland Juno-106 is also not one of the
analog synth with the fattest sound and IMO the virtual Epic synth
isn't able to completely replace the original, but it's still nice that
it is available, since I also never owned one myself, just borrowed one
from another friend. I wonder if there is a JX-3P emulation available,
that does provide some unique JX-3P sounds, that seemingly could be
generated by some older Roland synth, too. Unfortunately I don't know
exactly which of the older Roland synth do that, without watching
videos of German synth music old hands. Hard to do for me, since I often
like the sound of the synth, but not the music of those musicians. Btw.
I once watched a concert were Joe Zawinul played without Weather
Report. He replaced typically Prophet 5 alike sounds with a more modern
synth that sounded disgusting, at least as a replacement for those
Prophet sounds.

Regards,
Ralf

--
$ pacman -Q linux{,-rt{,-cornflower,-pussytoes}}|awk '{print $2}'
4.13.12-1