[LAU] Mackie Onyx like channel strips?

Robert Edge thumbknucklerocks at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 14:35:07 UTC 2017

> The canonical filter realisations as found in textbooks (e.g.
> biquad) are usually the worst way to actually implement them
> if things like numerical stability and parameter smoothing
> are taken into account.

People say this a lot.  Also warping at the extreme end of the frequency
response is supposed to be a real problem.

I dunno.  I incorporate the regular ass Robert Bristow Johnson cookbook
filters in to stuff all the time, and have been doing so for years.

I also spend a lot of time in the real world mixing bands on all sorts of
different consoles, from cheap analog and enrty level digital all the way
up to fancy pants systems.

I don't have any problem getting stock filters to solve the sorts of
problems one needs to solve when trying to mix music.  Some of the digital
solutions these days seem easier to work with than others (I like the Allen
and Heath Qu series the best out of the cheap digital consoles, and I've
used them all) but I suspect they are all pretty similar under the hood and
I am mostly reacting to how the range/sweep of the knobs is set up.

Maybe if you need crazy high Q for forensic purposes or something.

I can't imagine why a sane human being in 2017 would go out of their way to
emulate a Mackie.  I mean, they make stuff that is fine if that's what
happens to be there, but nothing I'd go looking for.