[LAU] Massive Xruns during recording

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Nov 25 14:24:06 UTC 2017

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 13:55:38 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 08:55:09PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> Off-topic: If you should get rid of the xruns, you much likely will
>> notice that jack's build in dithering, is just noisy pain, compared
>> to proprietary alternatives.
>
>Any evidence (i.e. measurements) to support that ?

Hi Fons,

no neutral measurements, just my individual mixing experiences. I
always noticed audible noise comparable, if not more annoying noise, to
noise I experienced for good analog recordings, still too much for
my taste. I couldn't find an alternative solution yet. When I used
Cubase for testing purpose on Windows around a decade ago, it shipped
with a dithering plugin. I don't remember it's name, but after googling
I guess it was
https://steinberg.help/cubase_plugin_reference/v9/en/_shared/topics/plug_ref/uv22hr_dithering_r.html .
I still remember that "dither noise is gated during silent passages"
wasn't the only benefit, it was always nearly inaudible, at least not
as loud as noise, I experienced with good analog tape recordings, while
my experiences with jack2 couldn't hold a candle to this plugin.

Regards,
Ralf