[LAU] getting LFE channel to work with PulseAudio 5.1

john gibby johnalan.gibby at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 00:47:28 UTC 2017

Hi,
Have beat my head against the wall long enough...  I have AV Linux,
Hammerfall DSP card, am using Ecasound with ladspa plugins for DSP
crossover, Pianoteq piano model, and Jack to glue things together.  I built
2 nice large subwoofers (4 ft3 each) with 12" SBAcoustics drivers.  Just
realized the other day that my 5.1 surround sound is missing the .1; the
LFE channel.  I want to get it to appear in my PulseAudio sink, map it in
the my Ecasound logic, and split the LFE signal between the 2 subs.  Since
I use them for 20 to 80hz, maybe this will sometimes detract from accuracy
of movie music, but still I at least want to learn how to do it and see how
I like it.  Problem is, no matter what I do with /etc/pulse/daemon.conf,
default.pa etc. (setting channels=6, channel order, no LFE mixing, etc.), I
can't seem to get the LFE channel to work.  I've searched the Internet over
and over, read everything I could find and tried setting things like the
articles say, but still the LFE channel just won't show up.  Alsamixer
shows front, rear and center master volume controls only; no LFE.
 pulsevumeter, etc., show only 5 channels, nothing shows the LFE channel.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks!!
John